There's so much sadness in the world. So much heartbreak, so few instances of compassion. I've been hit particularly hard these past few weeks, especially working in the news. Can't escape it. I've been more intentional with my alone time; always trying to force my thought patterns to more positive than negative. I've found that lists work. When I turn my gaze to the simple, beautiful sentiments of life, it makes the rest of it not seem so bad.
1. Hearing the sound of a loved one's voice for the first time in while.
2. Remembering the first time I ever watched dolphins dance down the shoreline.
3. Moments I can be alone with only my piano and my thoughts.
4. My 22nd birthday. (Seeing Sigur Ros play an outdoor show under a stunning early-autumn night sky.)
5. Sister inside jokes.
6. Fresh flowers.
7. Eating crab fries, people-watching, and laughing until my abs hurt on the Ocean City boardwalk with my family.
8. That nervous, excited anticipation of meeting someone new for the first time.
9. New York Post headlines.
10. Manhattan under a blanket of fresh snow.